Meet Tolly Peppercorn.
Here he is! Ready for battle. The last part of this lengthy process was something I’m well-versed in: painting. Let’s look at some pictures, shall we?
Just like the original illustration, I started off with a creamy-colored base – a coat of white gesso, followed by a coat of tinted gesso.
Painting fur on a sculpture with acrylics was new territory for me, and a bit more labor intensive. Acrylics are a different beast, and his fur required 4 or 5 layers of glazing and brushstrokes of different colors. In the beginning, he was quite red, like a fox, before he turned into a brown raccoon.
Here you can see all the holes I made in his capelet prior to baking.
The tiniest bolo tie ever! I had some coffee before painting the tie. I don’t recommend it.
It was time to add his wooden sword (made from clay, of course), so I molded some black Apoxie Sculpt onto his arm and moss cape.
I “planted” all the little ‘shroomies and flowers and branches I’d painted. Then I had to figure out this flag situation. Here’s a droopy-looking test subject, cut from an old cotton t-shirt.
On the left are my first run of battle flags, which I wasn’t too happy with. On the right are Version-Two-Point-Oh. Much better! I didn’t want them to be too droopy, though, so I dipped them in watered down Elmer’s Glue to stiffen them up a bit, then curled the flags.
In my childish excitement I stopped taking photos as I neared the end. I threaded some embroidery floss through his mask-hat, finished up painting the last bits, cleaned up and stained the wooden base, signed it, and VOILÁ:
And HERE’S a video showing some sweet 360 action:
Tolly Peppercorn is pleased to meet you. Thanks for reading, and I’ll be back soon with more (oh yes, more) sculptures.